Which Apple Laptop do I need ?

Fritslux
Dear all,

We want to develop apps for iPhones but.... never worked with apple before.
Could anyone tell me which Mac laptop will be best to work with and what I
will need more (what I can't think of at this moment) ?

In advance thank you very much.

Regards,

Frits

Re: Which Apple Laptop do I need ?

jawbrey
any current generation Mac laptop will probably work for you, although the MBA with 2GB of RAM might not be the best choice

I've used 2 different MBP - a Core2 Duo and a quad core i5, both were more than sufficient for MT development

http://www.apple.com/why-mac/compare/notebooks.html

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Fritslux <[hidden email]> wrote:
Dear all,

We want to develop apps for iPhones but.... never worked with apple before.
Could anyone tell me which Mac laptop will be best to work with and what I
will need more (what I can't think of at this moment) ?

In advance thank you very much.

Regards,

Frits

Re: Which Apple Laptop do I need ?

Chris Hamblett
One of the biggest things to consider for development is that you will spend a lot of time looking at the screen. If you plan on doing all your coding at desks with monitors, it's not a problem; on the other hand, if you plan to be mobile and would like to code directly on the laptop often, you may find a 13" screen may not provide enough space for all your windows (it is both inch and resolution limited). For this reason, I decided to go with the 15" and pay for the upgrade for a hi-res matte screen to easily view more elements on the screen at the same time without straining to see what I'm doing.

The other benefit, if you are impatient like me, is that the speed advantage of the quad cores will compile code faster then the dual cores, although the difference is not dramatic. Before I got this mac, I was coding on an old HP Core2Duo from early 2008 and, other then the crashiness of the Hackintosh, it accomplished the coding and simulating just as well, although I did have to wait longer to compile and test the changes.

The processing power of even the 11" MacBook Air can handle MT, but that teensy tiny screen would drive me nuts.

~Chris

> From: Fritslux <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [MonoTouch] Which Apple Laptop do I need ?
> To: [hidden email]
>
> Dear all,
>
> We want to develop apps for iPhones but.... never worked with apple before.
> Could anyone tell me which Mac laptop will be best to work with and what I
> will need more (what I can't think of at this moment) ?
>
> In advance thank you very much.
>
> Regards,
>
> Frits

Re: Which Apple Laptop do I need ?

Anita H.
Any current Mac with 4GB RAM is definitely fine. I am sure that the 2GB ones will handle MonoDevelop as well, but you want to be able to multi-task during development. I have the 13-inch Macbook Pro, and it has been working great. I agree with the previous poster that you may want a bigger screen if you are used to a big screen or double screens during development.
Anita Hirth
Creative and Technical Director
Smart Cookie Studios
Website   Twitter   Facebook   Blog