Web Services Performance for Point of Sales application.

Web Services Performance for Point of Sales application.

hocpham@yahoo.com
Hello, I've developed the Point of Sales (POS) application in Windows and iPad (iOS devices) app using local database such as MSSQL Server Express and Sqlite3. These applications work great and FAST in local network environment. For multi stations I used MSSSQL network server (TCP open port 1433). For SQLite system, I've wrote a complete WCF server/client then hosted on local network. Again, the systems work great and FAST. Now I want explore Web base application which mean that I must hosting web services on the WWW or Cloud services.

So, my question is what web service protocol should I use to maintaining the satisfactory POS performance (the applications still have run locally as native app). I have looks in to JSON, REST protocol but not sure will give the performance that I need because in POS world which requires that fast database access to SELECT(GET), UPDATE(POST) and INSERT(PUT) in real-time or close to real-time.

 I know that I can't get a real-time performance on web services but if I can get 80% plus performance that worth shooting for. Thanks...

Visit our website: http://www.yesmua.com

Re: Web Services Performance for Point of Sales application.

Nic Wise
The overhead of using Json over HTTP vrs pretty much anything else
(binary over sockets etc) is going to be negated by the speed of the
internet - or lack of it.

The round trip from your POS to the server is going to be <1ms on a
local network, and possibly 10-100ms (or more if it's 3G/4G - 2-5s
sometimes) for an internet call.

What kind of data are you moving over this connection?  How many
requests per "person buying something"? Why does it have to be
realtime/near realtime? what happens if the network connection goes
away?

Personally, I'd explore json over HTTPS ('cos you need it to be
secure, right?), with gzip compression on the server end (which is
common now anyway) but avoid WCF like the plague. Look at using
ServiceStack or something similar. SignalR might also be an option if
you need to do bidirectional comms.

Sending 1k as json (which might end up as 1.5k) or binary (which might
be 1.01k) is nothing compared to creating a connection to the server
in the first place.