Tour Photo Gallery

Alejandro Vazquez
Hi,

Im building a tour photo gallery app and right now all the photos are embedded as "Content" into the app. The problem Im facing right now is that the photos are going to be updated every month and I don't want to build a new version every month.

The first approach that I was thinking is to download the updated photos and store them in the app but don't have a clue on how can I download a photo and then update the embedded content photo with the new one.

The second approach is myabe show them on demand, the problem with this option is that I would need internet access.

Any recommendation on how to do this or the best way to do it? In case you think the first approach is fine, then how can I store a downloaded photo and update a "Content" resource?

Thanks in advance!

Alejandro

Re: Tour Photo Gallery

jawbrey
downloading a photo (or anything) is easy - just do it the same way you would in standard .NET - using a WebClient or other similar approach

you can't overwrite embedded content in your app - but you can save the downloaded files in a folder, and then have your app check if new content is available, then download and display them, otherwise display the ones embedded in the app

On Thu, Apr 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM, Alejandro Vazquez <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

bobreck
Alejandro,
What about storing the images into a SQLLite database and updating them as necessary that way?

http://www.iphonesdkarticles.com/2009/02/sqlite-tutorial-saving-images-in.html

Bob

--
Bob Reck <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
PII Quality Assurance Auditor

The information contained in this message may be privileged, private and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message.

On Apr 18, 2013, at 9:14 AM, "Alejandro Vazquez" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Hi,

Im building a tour photo gallery app and right now all the photos are embedded as "Content" into the app. The problem Im facing right now is that the photos are going to be updated every month and I don't want to build a new version every month.

The first approach that I was thinking is to download the updated photos and store them in the app but don't have a clue on how can I download a photo and then update the embedded content photo with the new one.

The second approach is myabe show them on demand, the problem with this option is that I would need internet access.

Any recommendation on how to do this or the best way to do it? In case you think the first approach is fine, then how can I store a downloaded photo and update a "Content" resource?

Thanks in advance!

Alejandro

Fwd: Tour Photo Gallery

bobreck
Forgot to copy the list...

Begin forwarded message:

From: Robert Reck <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Date: April 18, 2013, 9:43:00 AM CDT
To: Alejandro Vazquez <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Subject: Re: [MonoTouch] Tour Photo Gallery

There does not appear to be a size limit on the actual database (other than availability of memory on the device), but... Here are limits inside the DB. I don't think these would impact you, but I guess you'd know better than I.

http://www.sqlite.org/limits.html

Bob

--
Bob Reck <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
PII Quality Assurance Auditor
Senior Applications Developer
___________________
www.keylogic.com<http://www.keylogic.com/>
443.539.9065
301.621.8920 (fax)

The information contained in this message may be privileged, private and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message.

On Apr 18, 2013, at 9:26 AM, "Alejandro Vazquez" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Is there any limitation on how much memory can be stored in a SQLLite db?

Thanks a lot Bob

What about storing the images into a SQLLite database and updating them as necessary that way?

http://www.iphonesdkarticles.com/2009/02/sqlite-tutorial-saving-images-in.html

Bob

--
Bob Reck <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>>
www.keylogic.com<http://www.keylogic.com><http://www.keylogic.com/>