Steps to get the OTA install of an MT app

Steps to get the OTA install of an MT app

Nic Wise
Anyone got any steps for this?

I need to put a .mobileprofile and the app somewhere, eg my website
(ala TestFlight, which I might use....). Is there a webpage - or
better yes, menu option in MD - on how to do this, what I need to put,
how to build the plist etc?

Thanks

t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/ | http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicwise
mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
http://goo.gl/IuBU
Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa

Re: Steps to get the OTA install of an MT app

jawbrey
it's not that difficult to do yourself, but TestFlight really makes it easier to manage.

if you really want to try it manually, I can send you instructions

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anyone got any steps for this?

I need to put a .mobileprofile and the app somewhere, eg my website
(ala TestFlight, which I might use....). Is there a webpage - or
better yes, menu option in MD - on how to do this, what I need to put,
how to build the plist etc?

Thanks

t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/ | http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicwise
mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
http://goo.gl/IuBU
Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa

Re: Steps to get the OTA install of an MT app

eternalbard
Is there a way to do not make it manually?…. I just do it manually all the time that need to publish a new version of a ipa and plist…

Karl

Re: Steps to get the OTA install of an MT app

If you have then handy, can you fire them over?

Thanks

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 23:33, Jason Awbrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> it's not that difficult to do yourself, but TestFlight really makes it
> easier to manage.
> if you really want to try it manually, I can send you instructions
>
> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 5:19 PM, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Anyone got any steps for this?
>>
>> I need to put a .mobileprofile and the app somewhere, eg my website
>> (ala TestFlight, which I might use....). Is there a webpage - or
>> better yes, menu option in MD - on how to do this, what I need to put,
>> how to build the plist etc?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Nic Wise
>> t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
>> b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/ | http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicwise
>> mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
>> http://goo.gl/IuBU
>> Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa

t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/ | http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicwise
mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
http://goo.gl/IuBU
Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa

Re: Steps to get the OTA install of an MT app

jawbrey
this is from memory, so I might have missed something

1. Create ipa
a. Make a build
b. In the output folder, create a “Payload” folder
c. “cp –rp myapp.app Payload”
d. “zip –r myapp.ipa Payload”
2. Create a plist file
a. Use attached as a template
b. I *think* the only values you really need to change are
i. Path to ipa file
ii. bundle-version
3. create an htm file with links to your mobileprovision and plist files
a. mobileprovision is a normal <a> link
b. plist link should be formatted like this
c. <a href="itms-services://?action=download-manifest&amp;url=http://example.com/myapp.plist">
4. Copy ipa, plist, htm and mobile provision file to your webserver
5. From mobile safari, browse to the htm page
a. Click to install mobileprovision file
b. Click to install app
6. If you increment the bundle version appropriately, for future installs you can just click on the app link and it will update

example.plist.txt (3K) Download Attachment

Re: Steps to get the OTA install of an MT app

Nic Wise
Excellent - thanks Jason, I'll give it a try this weekend!

On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 13:16, Jason Awbrey <[hidden email]> wrote:

> this is from memory, so I might have missed something
>
> 1. Create ipa
>
> a. Make a build
> b. In the output folder, create a “Payload” folder
> c. “cp –rp myapp.app Payload”
> d. “zip –r myapp.ipa Payload”
>
> 2. Create a plist file
>
> a. Use attached as a template
> b. I *think* the only values you really need to change are
>
> i. Path to ipa file
>
> ii. bundle-version
>
> 3. create an htm file with links to your mobileprovision and plist files
>
> a. mobileprovision is a normal <a> link
> b. plist link should be formatted like this
>
> c. <a
> href="itms-services://?action=download-manifest&amp;url=http://example.com/myapp.plist">
>
> 4. Copy ipa, plist, htm and mobile provision file to your webserver
> 5. From mobile safari, browse to the htm page
>
> a. Click to install mobileprovision file
> b. Click to install app
>
> 6. If you increment the bundle version appropriately, for future installs
> you can just click on the app link and it will update
> On Fri, Apr 1, 2011 at 1:40 AM, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> If you have then handy, can you fire them over?

t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/ | http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicwise
mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
http://goo.gl/IuBU
Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa

Re: Steps to get the OTA install of an MT app

eternalbard
A question: I don't know why but I don't need to copy provision file. Mono
compiles it automatically inside the application and I just put plist and
ipa on server.

So if it's Enteprise, it must be inside something with user and password
because it can be downloaded for anyone...
And in an AdHoc, the application will be installed just on devices
authorized on Developer Center at apple.com.

Karl