Scaling and image - and rotating it based on EXIF data

Scaling and image - and rotating it based on EXIF data

Nic Wise
Hi there

I'm trying to do something which should, I hope, be pretty easy.

I have a photo, which has come off the iPhone camera. I want to scale
it down a bit (take the longer side down to around 2500 pixels, so
it's under 2 meg as a JPEG), but keep the orientation.

I found this nice bit of obj-c after a bit of hunting:

http://blog.twoalex.com/2009/05/11/scaling-uiimages-without-losing-orientation/

Looking at it, it appears to do the job, and I can see it being
referred to all over the (obj-c) place.

Then I found a port of it to monotouch, here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4739231/uiimage-data-always-in-landscape-mode

Unless I missed something, from a line-by-line comparison, it should
also work. But I get a nice white JPEG of the correct size, as does
the author of the SO post.

Anyone have any ideas?

One thing I noticed is, while the EXIF orientation when I run the code
says 8 (Right), Preview says 6 (90deg CCW). I tried switching around
the 6 and 8 code paths, but no joy. I also tried his "solution", which
doesn't make any difference. I did play with some of the
CGAffineTransform.MakeTranslation stuff, but no consistent joy.

Anyone done this?

Thanks

t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/ | http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicwise
mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
http://goo.gl/IuBU
Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa

Re: Scaling and image - and rotating it based on EXIF data

Jonas Follesø
I am by no means an expert on this, and I did struggle allot with scaling and rotating images. To scale the image I simply used the UIImage Scale method (myImage.Scale(new SizeF(100, 100))).

When extracting data from the image (my app extracts regions from the image) I had to do some transforms to avoid the rotation. The full Crop method is up at https://gist.github.com/882223 - but the essence was this transform:

var transform = new MonoTouch.CoreGraphics.CGAffineTransform(1, 0, 0, -1, 0, section.Height);
ctx.ConcatCTM(transform);

Not sure if it is of any help - but worth a shot.

[...]

ChrisNTR
Microsoft ASPInsider
http://weblogs.asp.net/chrishardy
http://twitter.com/chrisntr

Re: Scaling and image - and rotating it based on EXIF data

Nic Wise
Thanks Jonas

I think I'm going to have to try it in obj-c and see if the original
code works. If not... there's the problem :) If so... might be a MT
issue. But I doubt that...

Cheers

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 22:31, Jonas Follesø <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am by no means an expert on this, and I did struggle allot with scaling
> and rotating images. To scale the image I simply used the UIImage Scale
> method (myImage.Scale(new SizeF(100, 100))).
> When extracting data from the image (my app extracts regions from the image)
> I had to do some transforms to avoid the rotation. The full Crop method is
> up at https://gist.github.com/882223 - but the essence was this transform:
>
> var transform = new MonoTouch.CoreGraphics.CGAffineTransform(1, 0, 0, -1, 0,
> section.Height);
>
> ctx.ConcatCTM(transform);
>

> Not sure if it is of any help - but worth a shot.

Righto then - I had a bit of a play with the obj-c code, which works
exactly as advertised. I think I'll re-port the code over to MT over
the weekend (and if I get it working, push it to github).

Is there anything "odd" in the CoreGraphics stuff - or system.drawing
- that could be messing with co-ords? 'cos it appears it's the
coordinate system which is screwing things up... maybe.

If anyone has done this (basically, take an image from the camera, and
scale it to a specific size (in my case, max of 2000 pixels on either
side).. As the camera keeps the EXIF for rotation, I need to obey that
too, so it's usually a scale + rotate.

I'd prefer it to work in 3.x, but I can deal if it's 4.x only.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:22, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Jonas
>
> I think I'm going to have to try it in obj-c and see if the original
> code works. If not... there's the problem :) If so... might be a MT
> issue. But I doubt that...
>
> Cheers
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 22:31, Jonas Follesø <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I am by no means an expert on this, and I did struggle allot with scaling
>> and rotating images. To scale the image I simply used the UIImage Scale
>> method (myImage.Scale(new SizeF(100, 100))).
>> When extracting data from the image (my app extracts regions from the image)
>> I had to do some transforms to avoid the rotation. The full Crop method is
>> up at https://gist.github.com/882223 - but the essence was this transform:
>>
>> var transform = new MonoTouch.CoreGraphics.CGAffineTransform(1, 0, 0, -1, 0,
>> section.Height);
>>
>> ctx.ConcatCTM(transform);
>>

>> Not sure if it is of any help - but worth a shot.

I finally worked this out, tho I ended up using another method. I'll
post the code on github or my blog in the next day or 2 - but atleast
it works now! :)

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 14:08, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Righto then - I had a bit of a play with the obj-c code, which works
> exactly as advertised. I think I'll re-port the code over to MT over
> the weekend (and if I get it working, push it to github).
>
> Is there anything "odd" in the CoreGraphics stuff - or system.drawing
> - that could be messing with co-ords? 'cos it appears it's the
> coordinate system which is screwing things up... maybe.
>
> If anyone has done this (basically, take an image from the camera, and
> scale it to a specific size (in my case, max of 2000 pixels on either
> side).. As the camera keeps the EXIF for rotation, I need to obey that
> too, so it's usually a scale + rotate.
>
> I'd prefer it to work in 3.x, but I can deal if it's 4.x only.
>
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:22, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thanks Jonas
>>
>> I think I'm going to have to try it in obj-c and see if the original
>> code works. If not... there's the problem :) If so... might be a MT
>> issue. But I doubt that...
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 22:31, Jonas Follesø <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I am by no means an expert on this, and I did struggle allot with scaling
>>> and rotating images. To scale the image I simply used the UIImage Scale
>>> method (myImage.Scale(new SizeF(100, 100))).
>>> When extracting data from the image (my app extracts regions from the image)
>>> I had to do some transforms to avoid the rotation. The full Crop method is
>>> up at https://gist.github.com/882223 - but the essence was this transform:
>>>
>>> var transform = new MonoTouch.CoreGraphics.CGAffineTransform(1, 0, 0, -1, 0,
>>> section.Height);
>>>
>>> ctx.ConcatCTM(transform);
>>>

>>> Not sure if it is of any help - but worth a shot.

... and here's the blog post:

http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/2011/03/28/scaling-and-rotating-an-image-in-monotouch/

(and code)

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:17, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I finally worked this out, tho I ended up using another method. I'll
> post the code on github or my blog in the next day or 2 - but atleast
> it works now! :)
>
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 14:08, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Righto then - I had a bit of a play with the obj-c code, which works
>> exactly as advertised. I think I'll re-port the code over to MT over
>> the weekend (and if I get it working, push it to github).
>>
>> Is there anything "odd" in the CoreGraphics stuff - or system.drawing
>> - that could be messing with co-ords? 'cos it appears it's the
>> coordinate system which is screwing things up... maybe.
>>
>> If anyone has done this (basically, take an image from the camera, and
>> scale it to a specific size (in my case, max of 2000 pixels on either
>> side).. As the camera keeps the EXIF for rotation, I need to obey that
>> too, so it's usually a scale + rotate.
>>
>> I'd prefer it to work in 3.x, but I can deal if it's 4.x only.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:22, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks Jonas
>>>
>>> I think I'm going to have to try it in obj-c and see if the original
>>> code works. If not... there's the problem :) If so... might be a MT
>>> issue. But I doubt that...
>>>
>>> Cheers

Awesome - and great post!

Will deff. check out the code and compare to how I handle image rotation. This might be a better solution.

Cheers,
Jonas

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 3:42 PM, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
... and here's the blog post:

http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/2011/03/28/scaling-and-rotating-an-image-in-monotouch/

(and code)

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:17, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I finally worked this out, tho I ended up using another method. I'll
> post the code on github or my blog in the next day or 2 - but atleast
> it works now! :)
>
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 14:08, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Righto then - I had a bit of a play with the obj-c code, which works
>> exactly as advertised. I think I'll re-port the code over to MT over
>> the weekend (and if I get it working, push it to github).
>>
>> Is there anything "odd" in the CoreGraphics stuff - or system.drawing
>> - that could be messing with co-ords? 'cos it appears it's the
>> coordinate system which is screwing things up... maybe.
>>
>> If anyone has done this (basically, take an image from the camera, and
>> scale it to a specific size (in my case, max of 2000 pixels on either
>> side).. As the camera keeps the EXIF for rotation, I need to obey that
>> too, so it's usually a scale + rotate.
>>
>> I'd prefer it to work in 3.x, but I can deal if it's 4.x only.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:22, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks Jonas
>>>
>>> I think I'm going to have to try it in obj-c and see if the original
>>> code works. If not... there's the problem :) If so... might be a MT
>>> issue. But I doubt that...
>>>
>>> Cheers

David Moles
Awesome! I've marked your answer as the right one over at SO.

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 8:42 AM, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
... and here's the blog post:

http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/2011/03/28/scaling-and-rotating-an-image-in-monotouch/

(and code)

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 10:17, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I finally worked this out, tho I ended up using another method. I'll
> post the code on github or my blog in the next day or 2 - but atleast
> it works now! :)
>
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 14:08, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Righto then - I had a bit of a play with the obj-c code, which works
>> exactly as advertised. I think I'll re-port the code over to MT over
>> the weekend (and if I get it working, push it to github).
>>
>> Is there anything "odd" in the CoreGraphics stuff - or system.drawing
>> - that could be messing with co-ords? 'cos it appears it's the
>> coordinate system which is screwing things up... maybe.
>>
>> If anyone has done this (basically, take an image from the camera, and
>> scale it to a specific size (in my case, max of 2000 pixels on either
>> side).. As the camera keeps the EXIF for rotation, I need to obey that
>> too, so it's usually a scale + rotate.
>>
>> I'd prefer it to work in 3.x, but I can deal if it's 4.x only.
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 10:22, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Thanks Jonas
>>>
>>> I think I'm going to have to try it in obj-c and see if the original
>>> code works. If not... there's the problem :) If so... might be a MT
>>> issue. But I doubt that...
>>>
>>> Cheers

Thanks David.

I never did work out why your code doesn't work. It's identical to the
Obj-c stuff, and I checked it SO many times.... so I assume there is
something else going on there. Very strange. Or, it's some sort of
SizeF vrs CGSize thing. Who knows.