Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Paul Johnson
Hi,

Got an interesting problem here. I have the same app running on two
identical machines with the same software and OS set ups (two Mac minis,
the other one is the Australia)

The app has been developed on my machine, committed to svn and then
brought down to the aussie box and built.

When I run the debugger here, the app fires through and picks things up
correctly from AppDelegate for localisation. The one in Australia
completely ignores AppDelegate. By that I mean none of the break points
in AppDelegate are hit, they are on my box.

Is there any way to find why the flow is completely different between
the machines?

The only difference between the the machines is that I have the
simulators for iOS 5, 5.1 and 6 installed whereas the other box doesn't.
When I build for 6.1, everything works at this end.

I've noticed some of the xib files are set for a target of iOS 3. Is
this likely to be the issue?

Paul
--
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how
vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a

Re: Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Nic Wise
Is is being ignored, or just no debugging?

What happens if you put Console.WriteLine or Debug.WriteLine in there?
do you see output?

What happens if you install the sims?

On 28 April 2013 01:52, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Got an interesting problem here. I have the same app running on two
> identical machines with the same software and OS set ups (two Mac minis, the
> other one is the Australia)
>
> The app has been developed on my machine, committed to svn and then brought
> down to the aussie box and built.
>
> When I run the debugger here, the app fires through and picks things up
> correctly from AppDelegate for localisation. The one in Australia completely
> ignores AppDelegate. By that I mean none of the break points in AppDelegate
> are hit, they are on my box.
>
> Is there any way to find why the flow is completely different between the
> machines?
>
> The only difference between the the machines is that I have the simulators
> for iOS 5, 5.1 and 6 installed whereas the other box doesn't. When I build
> for 6.1, everything works at this end.
>
> I've noticed some of the xib files are set for a target of iOS 3. Is this
> likely to be the issue?
>
> Paul
> --
> "Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly,
> hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down
> the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen..."
> Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, a truly remarkable book!

Re: Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Paul Johnson
Hi,

> Is is being ignored, or just no debugging?

Being ignored

> What happens if you put Console.WriteLine or Debug.WriteLine in there?
> do you see output?

See nothing

> What happens if you install the sims?

Nothing.

One thing I did find was that if it ignores the first instance of an
error (it is returning AppDelegate.Self.LB.LocalizedString(string token)
but Self is null so the app dies) then AppDelegate is seen and
everything works from there on in. Again, don't see this on the version
I have here, but only on the other machine.

Paul

--
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how
vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a
long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to
space, listen..."
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, a truly remarkable book!

Re: Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Nic Wise
Very strange. I've not seen this before - I'd guess version
differences with X.iOS, but I'm not sure... Can you remote into the
other machine and have a play?

On 28 April 2013 17:01, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>

>> Is is being ignored, or just no debugging?
>

> Being ignored
>

>> What happens if you put Console.WriteLine or Debug.WriteLine in there?
>> do you see output?
>

> See nothing
>

>> What happens if you install the sims?
>

> Nothing.
>
> One thing I did find was that if it ignores the first instance of an error
> (it is returning AppDelegate.Self.LB.LocalizedString(string token) but Self
> is null so the app dies) then AppDelegate is seen and everything works from
> there on in. Again, don't see this on the version I have here, but only on
> the other machine.
>

> Paul
>
> --
> "Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly,
> hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down
> the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen..."
> Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, a truly remarkable book!

Re: Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Paul Johnson
Hi,

> Very strange. I've not seen this before - I'd guess version
> differences with X.iOS, but I'm not sure... Can you remote into the
> other machine and have a play?

It is an odd one. I remoted onto the Australian box which is how I fixed
it. I can't fix at this end as I can't see where the problem is!

Paul

--
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how
vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a
long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to
space, listen..."
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, a truly remarkable book!

Re: Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Rolf Bjarne Kvinge
Hi,

Do you have more than one AppDelegate classes? I have strange issues before when there were two AppDelegate classes (in different namespaces) registered as 'AppDelegate' to the Objective-C runtime, and at runtime which one is picked is completely random.

The easiest way to check this is to install the 6.3.4 beta and try your app in the simulator - you will get an exception at startup if there are more than one class registered with the same Objective-C name.

Rolf

On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 6:35 PM, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Very strange. I've not seen this before - I'd guess version
differences with X.iOS, but I'm not sure... Can you remote into the
other machine and have a play?

It is an odd one. I remoted onto the Australian box which is how I fixed it. I can't fix at this end as I can't see where the problem is!

Paul

--
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen..."
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, a truly remarkable book!

Re: Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Paul Johnson
Hi Rolf,

> The easiest way to check this is to install the 6.3.4 beta and try your
> app in the simulator - you will get an exception at startup if there are
> more than one class registered with the same Objective-C name.

Only one AppDelegate there. Tried this under the stable, beta and alpha
releases. All give the same results on the other machine. If it was on
Android, I'd say it was a threading issue.

The fix I have in place solves the issue, but not the problem (as I see it)

Paul
--
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how
vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a
long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to
space, listen..."
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, a truly remarkable book!

Re: Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Rolf Bjarne Kvinge
On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 4:13 PM, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rolf,

The easiest way to check this is to install the 6.3.4 beta and try your
app in the simulator - you will get an exception at startup if there are
more than one class registered with the same Objective-C name.

Only one AppDelegate there. Tried this under the stable, beta and alpha releases. All give the same results on the other machine. If it was on Android, I'd say it was a threading issue.

Well, it was a shot in the dark anyway :)

There is always the low-tech solution of riddling your code with calls to Console.WriteLine...

Rolf

Re: Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Paul Johnson
Hi,

> There is always the low-tech solution of riddling your code with calls
> to Console.WriteLine...

Did that too - AppDelegate ignored. Now something has just occurred to
me and I'm not sure if it happens in monotouch as it does in monodroid.

When the compiler hits an event, the event code is read to ensure it's
correct and working. For example

listView.Click += delegate {
if (condition)
  // do something
else
  // do something else
};

If the something else line goes out of bounds or does something silly,
the compilation dies there.

What I'm wondering is if something similar is happening here except
instead of it being at compile time, it's at runtime (the method is
called before AppDelegate is reached when it shouldn't be reached until
FinishedLaunching has been hit - in other words, the UI is starting
before it's started officially)

Does/can that happen?

Paul

--
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how
vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a
long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to
space, listen..."
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, a truly remarkable book!

Re: Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Rolf Bjarne Kvinge
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

Never say never, but this doesn't sound plausible to me.

What is the actual behavior you're seeing on the screen? Does the app show up as expected, or does it exit?

Rolf

Does/can that happen?

Paul

--
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen..."
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, a truly remarkable book!

Re: Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Paul Johnson
Hi,

> What is the actual behavior you're seeing on the screen? Does the app
> show up as expected, or does it exit?

I get a splash screen. It is then supposed to put up a message to say
is the reason why I think it was at runtime.

UIAlert #1 works. It doesn't use the LocalizedString code. UIAlert #2
isn't hit, but what is happening is really odd. The LocalizedString is
being called but looks to being called twice - once before
FinishedLaunching has been executed, once after with the same token.
This token is only ever used once (no replications of the token exist
when I do a Search in Files other than in the Localized.strings file).

The mystery deepens!

Paul
--
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how
vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a
long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to
space, listen..."
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, a truly remarkable book!

Re: Same app seems to follow two different paths - any ideas?

Rolf Bjarne Kvinge

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 11:19 PM, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

What is the actual behavior you're seeing on the screen? Does the app
show up as expected, or does it exit?

I get a splash screen. It is then supposed to put up a message to say loading data (UIAlert) and then another UIAlert to say welcome. Now here is the reason why I think it was at runtime.

UIAlert #1 works. It doesn't use the LocalizedString code. UIAlert #2 isn't hit, but what is happening is really odd. The LocalizedString is being called but looks to being called twice - once before FinishedLaunching has been executed, once after with the same token. This token is only ever used once (no replications of the token exist when I do a Search in Files other than in the Localized.strings file).

This doesn't sound like anything I've run into before :|

The mystery deepens!

Good hunting!

Rolf