Random strange crashes on iPhone 4S

kpijnenburg
Hi,

I tested my app on several devices, iPhone 4(three different devices), iPhone 3GS.

Now my app is live, and lots of people are complaining about random crashes everywhere in the app on mostly iPhone 4S devices.

Are there specific compiler options i need to set when compiling for 4S?
I use:
- Link SDK Assemblies only
- i did not enable LLVM

I'm using MonoTouch 5.1.1.

I don't have any crashlogs because i can't get them from existing users, i would like to know if this is something that sounds familiar, an exisiting issue and maybe tips to fix this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Random strange crashes on iPhone 4S

Matt Jones
Hi,

You might have some threading issues .. have you tested it on the iPad 2 at all?

The iPad 2 and iPhone 4S have two cores, all previous devices only have one.

Cheers, Matt

On 24 January 2012 14:25, kpijnenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I tested my app on several devices, iPhone 4(three different devices),
iPhone 3GS.

Now my app is live, and lots of people are complaining about random crashes
everywhere in the app on mostly iPhone 4S devices.

Are there specific compiler options i need to set when compiling for 4S?
I use:
- Link SDK Assemblies only
- i did not enable LLVM

I'm using MonoTouch 5.1.1.

I don't have any crashlogs because i can't get them from existing users, i
would like to know if this is something that sounds familiar, an exisiting
issue and maybe tips to fix this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Re: Random strange crashes on iPhone 4S

kpijnenburg
Hi,

Yes i just got an iPad 2 to test on. I tested the iPhone version on the iPad2 and had no problem at all for myself. If it was threading, i should have problems always right?

A lot of users have the same kind of crashes on the same place, but why a minority? I have tested it myself on 5 devices, with iOS 4 + 5.

Koen

Re: Random strange crashes on iPhone 4S

Jackson Harper

If it is threading related the crashes will be very random.

Can you post stack traces of your users's crashes?

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 11:12 AM, kpijnenburg <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Yes i just got an iPad 2 to test on. I tested the iPhone version on the
iPad2 and had no problem at all for myself. If it was threading, i should
have problems always right?

A lot of users have the same kind of crashes on the same place, but why a
minority? I have tested it myself on 5 devices, with iOS 4 + 5.

Koen

Re: Random strange crashes on iPhone 4S

kpijnenburg
I don't have crashreports yet, i'm testing with some users. I'm also testing builds with higher trampolines, which is promising some users aren't having problems anymore.

What kind of things can cause threading related problems? Can you give an example? So i can look into my code.

Thanks in advance.