Importing a view from outside of a xib & "tooltips"

Importing a view from outside of a xib & "tooltips"

Paul Johnson
Hi,

As always, there is a tonne of advice on how to bring an external object
into the current view in ObjC, but nothing much for .NET

Does anyone know if there is a simple to follow method of building up a
view using external objects around that I may learn from?

Another UI bit I can't find much on is how to make "tool tips" (help
messages when you don't actually press on a button, but are in contact
with the screen). Can these be done in monotouch?

Thanks

Paul
--
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how
vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a

Re: Importing a view from outside of a xib & "tooltips"

Nic Wise
What do you mean by "external objects"?

You could do a tooltip when the user enters a field ("when it becomes
the first responder"). You can work out easily the bounds of the text
box, then just make a new UIView (which has the stuff in it you want
to display), add it into the same view that contains the textbox, and
position it in the right place. You can also bring it to the front to
make sure it shows over the top of everything else.

Is that what you mean?

On 24 May 2013 02:49, Paul Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As always, there is a tonne of advice on how to bring an external object
> into the current view in ObjC, but nothing much for .NET
>
> Does anyone know if there is a simple to follow method of building up a view
> using external objects around that I may learn from?
>
> Another UI bit I can't find much on is how to make "tool tips" (help
> messages when you don't actually press on a button, but are in contact with
> the screen). Can these be done in monotouch?
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul
> --
> "Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly,
> hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down
> the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen..."
> Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, a truly remarkable book!

Re: Importing a view from outside of a xib & "tooltips"

Paul Johnson
Hi,

> What do you mean by "external objects"?

In the Xcode designer there is a widget called "External Objects" which
looks to be a placeholder for views created outside of the xib file
being worked on.

> You could do a tooltip when the user enters a field ("when it becomes
> the first responder"). You can work out easily the bounds of the text
> box, then just make a new UIView (which has the stuff in it you want
> to display), add it into the same view that contains the textbox, and
> position it in the right place. You can also bring it to the front to
> make sure it shows over the top of everything else.
>
> Is that what you mean?

Yep! Thanks

Paul

--
"Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how
vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a
long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to
space, listen..."
Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy, a truly remarkable book!

Re: Importing a view from outside of a xib & "tooltips"

Nic Wise
> In the Xcode designer there is a widget called "External Objects" which
> looks to be a placeholder for views created outside of the xib file being
> worked on.

Ah, ok. I suspect it's just a named UIView, and you can then add
things into it..

> Yep! Thanks

:)