Hosting database server or services in iOS

Hosting database server or services in iOS

hocpham@yahoo.com
Hello, I've developed a Point of Sales (POS) app on the iPad and iPhone. The app used  local SQLite database to store data. The app mainly operates in a single store (close loop) environment with local network router. But in this environment I need to be able to run several iPad(s) connecting together in a single database. I want one iPad at the cashier counter to host the database and the rest of the iPad devices connecting to the host. In the POS environment all app needs to be responsive in real-time or close to real-time data access, because there a lot data transfers between them. I think Core Data, web service, MS Azure, etc. is not going be responsive enough. Nor having a local desktop Windows server to provide local data access will NOT cut it because we want the store owner to be able to bring the host iPad home after closing the shop.

Questions: 1. Can I develop the app to host local database? 2. What is the best network protocol for the host? Socket, REST, JASON, WCF

-Thanks Andrew Pham

Re: Hosting database server or services in iOS

Nic Wise
You might need to read around. I think you can create a HTTP server on
iOS (ie, listen to a socket and do something), and it might be built
in to .NET / Mono too.

However, if the app isn't the front up (eg someone switches out to
safari for a short period) then it gets shut down - no background
processes. Possibly the same if the power button gets hit by accident.

As I said in the last one, I'd go for json over http, as it's _easy_,
and quite quick. Personally, I think I'd go for a Mac Mini or similar
(maybe even a Raspberry PI or something _tiny_, depending on how much
control you have over the client setup), and have that as the host.
Then you can do whatever you want without having to work around iOS
limitations.

iOS7 may change that a bit, but I'm not sure I'd build a business on it :)

Also think about what happens if the server disappears, or if the
network goes down (as they do....)

On 27 August 2013 09:24, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, I've developed a Point of Sales (POS) app on the iPad and iPhone. The
> app used  local SQLite database to store data. The app mainly operates in a
> single store (close loop) environment with local network router. But in this
> environment I need to be able to run several iPad(s) connecting together in
> a single database. I want one iPad at the cashier counter to host the
> database and the rest of the iPad devices connecting to the host. In the POS
> environment all app needs to be responsive in real-time or close to
> real-time data access, because there a lot data transfers between them. I
> think Core Data, web service, MS Azure, etc. is not going be responsive
> enough. Nor having a local desktop Windows server to provide local data
> access will NOT cut it because we want the store owner to be able to bring
> the host iPad home after closing the shop.
>
> Questions: 1. Can I develop the app to host local database? 2. What is the
> best network protocol for the host? Socket, REST, JASON, WCF
>
> -Thanks Andrew Pham

Re: Hosting database server or services in iOS

Nic Wise
BTW, thinking about it, you can run a HTTP or FTP Server on iOS, tho
you app must be in the foreground. ewallet and airforms
(http://polarbearfarm.com/airforms/) both do it. They are done in
ObjC, but there is no reason not to be able to do it in Xam.iOS.

On 27 August 2013 16:41, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You might need to read around. I think you can create a HTTP server on
> iOS (ie, listen to a socket and do something), and it might be built
> in to .NET / Mono too.
>
> However, if the app isn't the front up (eg someone switches out to
> safari for a short period) then it gets shut down - no background
> processes. Possibly the same if the power button gets hit by accident.
>
> As I said in the last one, I'd go for json over http, as it's _easy_,
> and quite quick. Personally, I think I'd go for a Mac Mini or similar
> (maybe even a Raspberry PI or something _tiny_, depending on how much
> control you have over the client setup), and have that as the host.
> Then you can do whatever you want without having to work around iOS
> limitations.
>
> iOS7 may change that a bit, but I'm not sure I'd build a business on it :)
>
> Also think about what happens if the server disappears, or if the
> network goes down (as they do....)
>

> On 27 August 2013 09:24, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello, I've developed a Point of Sales (POS) app on the iPad and iPhone. The
>> app used  local SQLite database to store data. The app mainly operates in a
>> single store (close loop) environment with local network router. But in this
>> environment I need to be able to run several iPad(s) connecting together in
>> a single database. I want one iPad at the cashier counter to host the
>> database and the rest of the iPad devices connecting to the host. In the POS
>> environment all app needs to be responsive in real-time or close to
>> real-time data access, because there a lot data transfers between them. I
>> think Core Data, web service, MS Azure, etc. is not going be responsive
>> enough. Nor having a local desktop Windows server to provide local data
>> access will NOT cut it because we want the store owner to be able to bring
>> the host iPad home after closing the shop.
>>
>> Questions: 1. Can I develop the app to host local database? 2. What is the
>> best network protocol for the host? Socket, REST, JASON, WCF
>>
>> -Thanks Andrew Pham
>>

>> --

> Nic Wise
> t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken
> b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/

Re: Hosting database server or services in iOS

Craig Dunn-2
Here's a pretty old (2009) sample from Mike doing some basic listening/response from iOS

HTH

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
BTW, thinking about it, you can run a HTTP or FTP Server on iOS, tho
you app must be in the foreground. ewallet and airforms
(http://polarbearfarm.com/airforms/) both do it. They are done in
ObjC, but there is no reason not to be able to do it in Xam.iOS.

On 27 August 2013 16:41, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You might need to read around. I think you can create a HTTP server on
> iOS (ie, listen to a socket and do something), and it might be built
> in to .NET / Mono too.
>
> However, if the app isn't the front up (eg someone switches out to
> safari for a short period) then it gets shut down - no background
> processes. Possibly the same if the power button gets hit by accident.
>
> As I said in the last one, I'd go for json over http, as it's _easy_,
> and quite quick. Personally, I think I'd go for a Mac Mini or similar
> (maybe even a Raspberry PI or something _tiny_, depending on how much
> control you have over the client setup), and have that as the host.
> Then you can do whatever you want without having to work around iOS
> limitations.
>
> iOS7 may change that a bit, but I'm not sure I'd build a business on it :)
>
> Also think about what happens if the server disappears, or if the
> network goes down (as they do....)
>

> On 27 August 2013 09:24, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello, I've developed a Point of Sales (POS) app on the iPad and iPhone. The
>> app used  local SQLite database to store data. The app mainly operates in a
>> single store (close loop) environment with local network router. But in this
>> environment I need to be able to run several iPad(s) connecting together in
>> a single database. I want one iPad at the cashier counter to host the
>> database and the rest of the iPad devices connecting to the host. In the POS
>> environment all app needs to be responsive in real-time or close to
>> real-time data access, because there a lot data transfers between them. I
>> think Core Data, web service, MS Azure, etc. is not going be responsive
>> enough. Nor having a local desktop Windows server to provide local data
>> access will NOT cut it because we want the store owner to be able to bring
>> the host iPad home after closing the shop.
>>
>> Questions: 1. Can I develop the app to host local database? 2. What is the
>> best network protocol for the host? Socket, REST, JASON, WCF
>>
>> -Thanks Andrew Pham
>>

>> --

> Nic Wise
> t.  <a href="tel:%2B44%207788%20592%20806" value="+447788592806">+44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken
> b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/

t.  <a href="tel:%2B44%207788%20592%20806" value="+447788592806">+44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken

Re: Hosting database server or services in iOS

Nic Wise
And as Mike pointed out, use HttpListener (in the comments :) )

On 27 August 2013 17:27, Craig Dunn <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Here's a pretty old (2009) sample from Mike doing some basic
> listening/response from iOS
>
> http://mikebluestein.wordpress.com/2009/10/13/create-a-mini-web-server-using-monotouch-to-serve-up-a-silverlight-app-to-your-desktop/
>
> HTH
>

> On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 8:42 AM, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> BTW, thinking about it, you can run a HTTP or FTP Server on iOS, tho
>> you app must be in the foreground. ewallet and airforms
>> (http://polarbearfarm.com/airforms/) both do it. They are done in
>> ObjC, but there is no reason not to be able to do it in Xam.iOS.
>>
>> On 27 August 2013 16:41, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > You might need to read around. I think you can create a HTTP server on
>> > iOS (ie, listen to a socket and do something), and it might be built
>> > in to .NET / Mono too.
>> >
>> > However, if the app isn't the front up (eg someone switches out to
>> > safari for a short period) then it gets shut down - no background
>> > processes. Possibly the same if the power button gets hit by accident.
>> >
>> > As I said in the last one, I'd go for json over http, as it's _easy_,
>> > and quite quick. Personally, I think I'd go for a Mac Mini or similar
>> > (maybe even a Raspberry PI or something _tiny_, depending on how much
>> > control you have over the client setup), and have that as the host.
>> > Then you can do whatever you want without having to work around iOS
>> > limitations.
>> >
>> > iOS7 may change that a bit, but I'm not sure I'd build a business on it
>> > :)
>> >
>> > Also think about what happens if the server disappears, or if the
>> > network goes down (as they do....)

>> > --
>> > Nic Wise
>> > t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken
>> > b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/
>>

>> --
>> Nic Wise
>> t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken
>> b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/

Re: Hosting database server or services in iOS

hocpham@yahoo.com
Thank, this is exactly what I need...

Is there a sample project for this?