Getting Errors about being on Started Edition of Xamarin Studio, even though i have Business installed

Getting Errors about being on Started Edition of Xamarin Studio, even though i have Business installed

Tiernan OToole

Good morning.

After my last email about getting Team City building application, I have hit a problem with iOS Builds.

I am getting the following:

error: The Starter Edition of Xamarin.iOS does not support building outside of Xamarin Studio. Please go to http://xamarin.com to upgrade to the Business Edition.

If I run Team City as admin on the machine (a mac mini) I get that error. If I run it as a standard user, I do not get that error (when run from the command line) but do get it when run from Team City.

To clarify:

If I run:

sudo "/Applications/Xamarin Studio.app/Contents/MacOS/mdtool" -v build --configuration:'Release|iPhone' "nameof.csproj"

using terminal window, I get that error. If I run without the sudo, it works…

But I need to run the build agent as root, because of permissions of the Application Directory… without so, checkouts fail…

So, how to I register “roots” copy of Xamarin to run correctly, or to use my users details. I have run sudo on Xamarin Studio, registered it with my account details, but still no dice…

Thanks in advance.

--Tiernan

Re: Getting Errors about being on Started Edition of Xamarin Studio, even though i have Business installed

Rolf Bjarne Kvinge
Hi,

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 10:22 PM, Tiernan OToole <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

It seems strange to me that Team City must be run by root - in general running as root is a bad idea.

Anyhow, maybe you can change the permissions of the Applications directory instead?

Rolf

So, how to I register “roots” copy of Xamarin to run correctly, or to use my users details. I have run sudo on Xamarin Studio, registered it with my account details, but still no dice…

Thanks in advance.

--Tiernan

Re: Getting Errors about being on Started Edition of Xamarin Studio, even though i have Business installed

Tom Opgenorth
I'd suggest trying to run the process under a user account. If you're
running as admin/root you'll run into another issue when you try to
sign the application - odds are that the admin account won't have
access to the certificates to do the signing.

http://www.opgenorth.net