Device taking 5 times longer than Simulator

Device taking 5 times longer than Simulator

sama446
I have an app for iPad, which is of 80 MB size on device. Earlier during 2013 start it used to run a particular operation with same time on device and simulator(4 secs). I made a lot of modifications to improve speed during all these months. And also kept upgrading new versions of xamarin and X-code as they came. Now the problem is this app takes 2 secs for same operation on simulator while it takes 10 secs on device for the same.

Really confused about what is wrong, as before modifications uglier code ran about 4 secs. Now the best code i could do runs at 10 secs on device. Also i noticed that LLVM option in build does not make any difference to the output(where as it is supposed to make).

Please let me know if this is known issue, where code runs slower on device.(As the normal conditions for others is code runs faster on device normally)

Most confused about LLVM not making any difference to the output and device taking 5 times longer for the same operation than Simulator.

Re: Device taking 5 times longer than Simulator

dalexsoto
Hello Remember that the simulator runs JIT'ed code and it has your mac's processor speed so it will be way faster than your device.

Can you be more specific (code maybe?) about what is the action that is so slow?

Alex

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 26/07/2013, a las 09:18 a.m., sama446 <[hidden email]> escribió:

> I have an app for iPad, which is of 80 MB size on device. Earlier during 2013
> start it used to run a particular operation with same time on device and
> simulator(4 secs). I made a lot of modifications to improve speed during all
> these months. And also kept upgrading new versions of xamarin and X-code as
> they came. Now the problem is this app takes 2 secs for same operation on
> simulator while it takes 10 secs on device for the same.
>
> Really confused about what is wrong, as before modifications uglier code ran
> about 4 secs. Now the best code i could do runs at 10 secs on device. Also i
> noticed that LLVM option in build does not make any difference to the
> output(where as it is supposed to make).
>
> Please let me know if this is known issue, where code runs slower on
> device.(As the normal conditions for others is code runs faster on device
> normally)
>
> Most confused about LLVM not making any difference to the output and device
> taking 5 times longer for the same operation than Simulator.

Re: Device taking 5 times longer than Simulator

sama446
Hi Alex, thanks for fast reply. This operation takes code from different .cs files(around 30 .cs files operate together to generate output). So it is complicated to show the code here, because references and all methods lie in another code file. This method various blocks of reusable code, which is used for other operations also.

But why is LLVM option enable or disable not making any difference except for build time.
My build output size and speed is same with or without LLVM(shouldn't it change?)

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM, dalexsoto [via MonoTouch] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Remember that the simulator runs JIT'ed code and it has your mac's processor speed so it will be way faster than your device.

Can you be more specific (code maybe?) about what is the action that is so slow?

Alex

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 26/07/2013, a las 09:18 a.m., sama446 <[hidden email]> escribió:

> I have an app for iPad, which is of 80 MB size on device. Earlier during 2013
> start it used to run a particular operation with same time on device and
> simulator(4 secs). I made a lot of modifications to improve speed during all
> these months. And also kept upgrading new versions of xamarin and X-code as
> they came. Now the problem is this app takes 2 secs for same operation on
> simulator while it takes 10 secs on device for the same.
>
> Really confused about what is wrong, as before modifications uglier code ran
> about 4 secs. Now the best code i could do runs at 10 secs on device. Also i
> noticed that LLVM option in build does not make any difference to the
> output(where as it is supposed to make).
>
> Please let me know if this is known issue, where code runs slower on
> device.(As the normal conditions for others is code runs faster on device
> normally)
>
> Most confused about LLVM not making any difference to the output and device
> taking 5 times longer for the same operation than Simulator.

http://monotouch.2284126.n4.nabble.com/Device-taking-5-times-longer-than-Simulator-tp4658399p4658400.html
To unsubscribe from Device taking 5 times longer than Simulator, click here.
NAML

Re: Device taking 5 times longer than Simulator

Rolf Bjarne Kvinge
Hi,

If your code hasn't changed and the performance has decreased (from 2s to 10s if I understand you correctly), it is most definitely a bug in Xamarin.iOS, so could you please file a bug (http://bugzilla.xamarin.com) with a test project that we can use to reproduce the slowdown?

The reason LLVM isn't noticeably faster is hard to guess without seeing the actual code, but LLVM is not a magic switch that will make all code faster, in some cases it will not make any difference at all.

Best regards,
Rolf

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 9:44 AM, sama446 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Alex, thanks for fast reply. This operation takes code from different .cs files(around 30 .cs files operate together to generate output). So it is complicated to show the code here, because references and all methods lie in another code file. This method various blocks of reusable code, which is used for other operations also.

But why is LLVM option enable or disable not making any difference except for build time.
My build output size and speed is same with or without LLVM(shouldn't it change?)

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM, dalexsoto [via MonoTouch] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello Remember that the simulator runs JIT'ed code and it has your mac's processor speed so it will be way faster than your device.

Can you be more specific (code maybe?) about what is the action that is so slow?

Alex

Enviado desde mi iPhone

El 26/07/2013, a las 09:18 a.m., sama446 <[hidden email]> escribió:

> I have an app for iPad, which is of 80 MB size on device. Earlier during 2013
> start it used to run a particular operation with same time on device and
> simulator(4 secs). I made a lot of modifications to improve speed during all
> these months. And also kept upgrading new versions of xamarin and X-code as
> they came. Now the problem is this app takes 2 secs for same operation on
> simulator while it takes 10 secs on device for the same.
>
> Really confused about what is wrong, as before modifications uglier code ran
> about 4 secs. Now the best code i could do runs at 10 secs on device. Also i
> noticed that LLVM option in build does not make any difference to the
> output(where as it is supposed to make).
>
> Please let me know if this is known issue, where code runs slower on
> device.(As the normal conditions for others is code runs faster on device
> normally)
>
> Most confused about LLVM not making any difference to the output and device
> taking 5 times longer for the same operation than Simulator.

http://monotouch.2284126.n4.nabble.com/Device-taking-5-times-longer-than-Simulator-tp4658399p4658400.html
To unsubscribe from Device taking 5 times longer than Simulator, click here.
NAML

Sent from the MonoTouch mailing list archive at Nabble.com.