Device Provisioning Problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Device Provisioning Problem

Chris_M

I want to put my app on my iPad for testing purposes. I have gone through all the provisioning steps on the Apple website and have my certificates and my mobileprovision file and completed the keychain step and have completed every related task I am aware of. But MonoDevelop doesn't recognize my Provisioning Profile (it's greyed out in the project options, "iPhone Bundle Signing" screen).

When I connect my iPad and look in the Organize section of Xcode, the only thing that appears amiss (and which is probably causing the problem, I'm sure) is that under "Provisioning Profiles" for my iPad, the status of my provision is "valid signing identity not found". I have no idea why that would be. When I look at my developer account on the Apple website, everything looks ship-shape there (although maybe I'm not looking in the right place?).

How do I resolve this problem?


--Chris
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Device Provisioning Problem

jawbrey
it sometimes help to delete all of your certificates and profiles, and then re-download them. 

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Chris_M <[hidden email]> wrote:

I want to put my app on my iPad for testing purposes. I have gone through
all the provisioning steps on the Apple website and have my certificates and
my mobileprovision file and completed the keychain step and have completed
every related task I am aware of. But MonoDevelop doesn't recognize my
Provisioning Profile (it's greyed out in the project options, "iPhone Bundle
Signing" screen).

When I connect my iPad and look in the Organize section of Xcode, the only
thing that appears amiss (and which is probably causing the problem, I'm
sure) is that under "Provisioning Profiles" for my iPad, the status of my
provision is "valid signing identity not found". I have no idea why that
would be. When I look at my developer account on the Apple website,
everything looks ship-shape there (although maybe I'm not looking in the
right place?).

How do I resolve this problem?


--Chris


--
View this message in context: http://monotouch.2284126.n4.nabble.com/Device-Provisioning-Problem-tp4655418.html
Sent from the MonoTouch mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
MonoTouch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch


_______________________________________________
MonoTouch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Device Provisioning Problem

Chris_M

No luck. I deleted *everything* short of my Apple developer ID and started from scratch, and I'm right back where I started -- every provisioning profile I generate and download (from freaking APPLE, $#@#&*%!!!) and drag into Xcode says "Valid signing identity not found". And in MonoDevelop, if I select the Distribution configuration I created per Xarmin's instructions (or any other configuration except for Debug), the Provisioning Profile option is greyed out.

I have followed all the instructions, have all the certificates, keys, profiles. I am out of my mind with frustration with this. I can't believe that the provisioning profiles generated by Apple are showing up in Apple's Xcode as not being valid.

Apple's documents on the Developer site are incredibly unhelpful (all they have is to export your stuff from an old computer onto your new computer -- not applicable in my case -- or the "delete everything and start over" approach, which I have now done and did not help anything.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?


--Chris


jawbrey wrote
it sometimes help to delete all of your certificates and profiles, and then
re-download them.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Device Provisioning Problem

jawbrey
sorry that didn't work - provisioning/certs is one of those things I absolutely don't understand, but it usually works OK, and when it doesn't I tear my hair out and randomly flail about until something fixes it.  So you're not alone

there are lots's of hits on SO about this (ie, http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5387277/valid-signing-identity-matching-this-profile-could-not-found-in-key-chain)

which may lead you to this, <a href="http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2250/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40009933-CH1-TROUBLESHOOTING_FAQ-WHAT_DOES__VALID_SIGNING_IDENTITY_NOT_FOUND__MEAN_AND_HOW_DO_I_RESOLVE_IT_">Apple's doc on revoking your certs and starting from scratch (this is a step beyond my original suggestion of deleting everything from your local machine)

one more suggestion - walk away from it for a while - not that it will fix anything, but if you calm down first you're less likely to throw your expensive Mac out the damn window in frustration  :-)

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Chris_M <[hidden email]> wrote:

No luck. I deleted *everything* short of my Apple developer ID and started
from scratch, and I'm right back where I started -- every provisioning
profile I generate and download (from freaking APPLE, $#@#&*%!!!) and drag
into Xcode says "Valid signing identity not found". And in MonoDevelop, if I
select the Distribution configuration I created per Xarmin's instructions
(or any other configuration except for Debug), the Provisioning Profile
option is greyed out.

I have followed all the instructions, have all the certificates, keys,
profiles. I am out of my mind with frustration with this. I can't believe
that the provisioning profiles generated by Apple are showing up in Apple's
Xcode as not being valid.

Apple's documents on the Developer site are incredibly unhelpful (all they
have is to export your stuff from an old computer onto your new computer --
not applicable in my case -- or the "delete everything and start over"
approach, which I have now done and did not help anything.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?


--Chris



jawbrey wrote
>
> it sometimes help to delete all of your certificates and profiles, and
> then
> re-download them.
>


--
View this message in context: http://monotouch.2284126.n4.nabble.com/Device-Provisioning-Problem-tp4655418p4655424.html
Sent from the MonoTouch mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
MonoTouch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch


_______________________________________________
MonoTouch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Device Provisioning Problem

Chris_M

Yeah, the smartest thing I did on Friday was to go take the dog for a walk, chat with my wife a bit, play Xbox for a while... man, I was SO frustrated.

Yeah, I saw the SO articles. It's kind of nice to know that I'm not just an idiot, but also very frustrating because there's no reliable fix for the problem. I did find that Apple article about the "last resort" option of deleting and revoking everything and starting from scratch, and I did that too. No luck. I am still unable to create a provisioning profile that doesn't say "Valid signing identity not found".

I decided to go ahead and use one of my official support tickets (or whatever they call them) with Apple, because I don't think there's anything I can even try now. Apple's going to have to fix it, I guess.  :-(


--Chris

jawbrey wrote
sorry that didn't work - provisioning/certs is one of those things I
absolutely don't understand, but it usually works OK, and when it doesn't I
tear my hair out and randomly flail about until something fixes it.  So
you're not alone

there are lots's of hits on SO about this (ie,
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5387277/valid-signing-identity-matching-this-profile-could-not-found-in-key-chain
)

which may lead you to this, Apple's doc
<<a href="http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2250/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40009933-CH1-TROUBLESHOOTING_FAQ-WHAT_DOES__VALID_SIGNING_IDENTITY_NOT_FOUND__MEAN_AND_HOW_DO_I_RESOLVE_IT_&gt;on">http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2250/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40009933-CH1-TROUBLESHOOTING_FAQ-WHAT_DOES__VALID_SIGNING_IDENTITY_NOT_FOUND__MEAN_AND_HOW_DO_I_RESOLVE_IT_>on
revoking your certs and starting from scratch (this is a step beyond my
original suggestion of deleting everything from your local machine)

one more suggestion - walk away from it for a while - not that it will fix
anything, but if you calm down first you're less likely to throw your
expensive Mac out the damn window in frustration  :-)
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Device Provisioning Problem

spcware
I think I might have a possibility.

the following happened to me when I got a new MacBook. I forgot to copy my public/private key pair, initially created when creating my certificates, to my new MacBook. therefore, all of my certificates from the provisioning portal are useless if you can't decrypt them on your machine to sign your apps. if you open up Xcode organizer window, you should see some of your certificates have a warning.

I could not access my old MacBook to copy over my public/private key pair to the new MacBook. therefore, the only solution is to generate a new key pair with keychain utility and create all new provisioning profiles.

___
Shawn

On Jun 18, 2012, at 10:52 AM, Chris_M <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Yeah, the smartest thing I did on Friday was to go take the dog for a walk,
> chat with my wife a bit, play Xbox for a while... man, I was SO frustrated.
>
> Yeah, I saw the SO articles. It's kind of nice to know that I'm not just an
> idiot, but also very frustrating because there's no reliable fix for the
> problem. I did find that Apple article about the "last resort" option of
> deleting and revoking everything and starting from scratch, and I did that
> too. No luck. I am still unable to create a provisioning profile that
> doesn't say "Valid signing identity not found".
>
> I decided to go ahead and use one of my official support tickets (or
> whatever they call them) with Apple, because I don't think there's anything
> I can even try now. Apple's going to have to fix it, I guess.  :-(
>
>
> --Chris
>
>
> jawbrey wrote
>>
>> sorry that didn't work - provisioning/certs is one of those things I
>> absolutely don't understand, but it usually works OK, and when it doesn't
>> I
>> tear my hair out and randomly flail about until something fixes it.  So
>> you're not alone
>>
>> there are lots's of hits on SO about this (ie,
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5387277/valid-signing-identity-matching-this-profile-could-not-found-in-key-chain
>> )
>>
>> which may lead you to this, Apple's doc
>> &lt;<a href="http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2250/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40009933-CH1-TROUBLESHOOTING_FAQ-WHAT_DOES__VALID_SIGNING_IDENTITY_NOT_FOUND__MEAN_AND_HOW_DO_I_RESOLVE_IT_&gt;on">http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2250/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40009933-CH1-TROUBLESHOOTING_FAQ-WHAT_DOES__VALID_SIGNING_IDENTITY_NOT_FOUND__MEAN_AND_HOW_DO_I_RESOLVE_IT_&gt;on
>> revoking your certs and starting from scratch (this is a step beyond my
>> original suggestion of deleting everything from your local machine)
>>
>> one more suggestion - walk away from it for a while - not that it will fix
>> anything, but if you calm down first you're less likely to throw your
>> expensive Mac out the damn window in frustration  :-)
>>
>
>
> --
> View this message in context: http://monotouch.2284126.n4.nabble.com/Device-Provisioning-Problem-tp4655418p4655437.html
> Sent from the MonoTouch mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
> _______________________________________________
> MonoTouch mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch
_______________________________________________
MonoTouch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Device Provisioning Problem

Nic Wise
Chris, did you get any resolution with this?

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 9:28 PM, Shawn Castrianni <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think I might have a possibility.
>
> the following happened to me when I got a new MacBook. I forgot to copy my public/private key pair, initially created when creating my certificates, to my new MacBook. therefore, all of my certificates from the provisioning portal are useless if you can't decrypt them on your machine to sign your apps. if you open up Xcode organizer window, you should see some of your certificates have a warning.
>
> I could not access my old MacBook to copy over my public/private key pair to the new MacBook. therefore, the only solution is to generate a new key pair with keychain utility and create all new provisioning profiles.
>
> ___
> Shawn
>
> On Jun 18, 2012, at 10:52 AM, Chris_M <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>
>> Yeah, the smartest thing I did on Friday was to go take the dog for a walk,
>> chat with my wife a bit, play Xbox for a while... man, I was SO frustrated.
>>
>> Yeah, I saw the SO articles. It's kind of nice to know that I'm not just an
>> idiot, but also very frustrating because there's no reliable fix for the
>> problem. I did find that Apple article about the "last resort" option of
>> deleting and revoking everything and starting from scratch, and I did that
>> too. No luck. I am still unable to create a provisioning profile that
>> doesn't say "Valid signing identity not found".
>>
>> I decided to go ahead and use one of my official support tickets (or
>> whatever they call them) with Apple, because I don't think there's anything
>> I can even try now. Apple's going to have to fix it, I guess.  :-(
>>
>>
>> --Chris
>>
>>
>> jawbrey wrote
>>>
>>> sorry that didn't work - provisioning/certs is one of those things I
>>> absolutely don't understand, but it usually works OK, and when it doesn't
>>> I
>>> tear my hair out and randomly flail about until something fixes it.  So
>>> you're not alone
>>>
>>> there are lots's of hits on SO about this (ie,
>>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5387277/valid-signing-identity-matching-this-profile-could-not-found-in-key-chain
>>> )
>>>
>>> which may lead you to this, Apple's doc
>>> &lt;<a href="http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2250/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40009933-CH1-TROUBLESHOOTING_FAQ-WHAT_DOES__VALID_SIGNING_IDENTITY_NOT_FOUND__MEAN_AND_HOW_DO_I_RESOLVE_IT_&gt;on">http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#technotes/tn2250/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40009933-CH1-TROUBLESHOOTING_FAQ-WHAT_DOES__VALID_SIGNING_IDENTITY_NOT_FOUND__MEAN_AND_HOW_DO_I_RESOLVE_IT_&gt;on
>>> revoking your certs and starting from scratch (this is a step beyond my
>>> original suggestion of deleting everything from your local machine)
>>>
>>> one more suggestion - walk away from it for a while - not that it will fix
>>> anything, but if you calm down first you're less likely to throw your
>>> expensive Mac out the damn window in frustration  :-)
>>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> View this message in context: http://monotouch.2284126.n4.nabble.com/Device-Provisioning-Problem-tp4655418p4655437.html
>> Sent from the MonoTouch mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
>> _______________________________________________
>> MonoTouch mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch
> _______________________________________________
> MonoTouch mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch



--
Nic Wise
t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/

Earnest: Self-employed? Track your business expenses and income.
http://earnestapp.com
Nearest Bus: find when the next bus is coming to your stop. http://goo.gl/Vcz1p
mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
http://goo.gl/IuBU
Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa
London Bike App: Find the nearest Boris Bike, and get riding! http://goo.gl/Icp2
_______________________________________________
MonoTouch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Device Provisioning Problem

Chris_M

Unfortunately, no. Nothing has worked. My generated provisioning profiles still say "Valid signing identity not found", and I still can't select a profile in MonoDevelop.

I submitted a request for developer support to Apple last week. Humorously, I got an auto-reply telling me that there was no support last week because of WWDC (wow, really? how awesome is that?), and that the soonest I would hear anything is the 18th. Needless to say, I didn't hear anything yesterday or so far today -- of course, if they didn't respond to any support requests last week, I can only imagine how big their backlog is right now.

Anyway, still no joy.


--Chris

Nic Wise wrote
Chris, did you get any resolution with this?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Device Provisioning Problem

MiKeL
Hi Chris,

I'm not an expert and also always wondering how this should work, but you can try to check in Keychain Access app if your developer certificate (signing idetity) is valid (not expired or present) (search for iPhone Developer certificates) as well as it has valid private key. Or in Xcode->Organizer->Developer Profile. Or you can check it on iOS provisioning portal in Certificates section, but make sure you have the certificate installed on your machine. Also make sure you are creating provisioning profiles with correct certificates.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Miso

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email] [mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Chris_M
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:24 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [MonoTouch] Device Provisioning Problem


Unfortunately, no. Nothing has worked. My generated provisioning profiles still say "Valid signing identity not found", and I still can't select a profile in MonoDevelop.

I submitted a request for developer support to Apple last week. Humorously, I got an auto-reply telling me that there was no support last week because of WWDC (wow, really? how awesome is that?), and that the soonest I would hear anything is the 18th. Needless to say, I didn't hear anything yesterday or so far today -- of course, if they didn't respond to any support requests last week, I can only imagine how big their backlog is right now.

Anyway, still no joy.


--Chris


Nic Wise wrote
>
> Chris, did you get any resolution with this?
>


--
View this message in context: http://monotouch.2284126.n4.nabble.com/Device-Provisioning-Problem-tp4655418p4655475.html
Sent from the MonoTouch mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
MonoTouch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch


_______________________________________________
MonoTouch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Device Provisioning Problem

m8rge
In reply to this post by Chris_M
Chris, did your problem solved?

I have similar problem with xamarin studio.
In provisioning profile dropdown list I see only one profile with app identifier like DFFVCBVCG.*, but for push notifications I need explicit app id.
I have profile with explicit app id for it installed on my mac.
I can see it in xcode organizer and it has "Valid profile" status.
I triple check app id, but no success. :(
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Device Provisioning Problem

Jeff Stedfast
Hi m8rge,

It sounds like you don't have any provisioning profiles. When you are in Xcode's Organizer window, there are multiple items in the list view on the left-hand side that say "Provisioning Profiles". You need to make sure that the one under the "Library" heading has your provisioning profiles, whereas it sounds like you are looking at the one listed under the heading of "My Mac".

If you go to the "Provisioning Profiles" listed under "Library", there will be a button called "Refresh" in the lower-right corner that you can use which will fetch all of your provisioning profiles from Apple's web server and download them into the right place on your system.

Hope that helps,

Jeff

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM, m8rge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Chris, did your problem solved?

I have similar problem with xamarin studio.
In provisioning profile dropdown list I see only one profile with app
identifier like DFFVCBVCG.*, but for push notifications I need explicit app
id.
I have profile with explicit app id for it installed on my mac.
I can see it in xcode organizer and it has "Valid profile" status.
I triple check app id, but no success. :(



--
View this message in context: http://monotouch.2284126.n4.nabble.com/Device-Provisioning-Problem-tp4655418p4658161.html
Sent from the MonoTouch mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
MonoTouch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch


_______________________________________________
MonoTouch mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.ximian.com/mailman/listinfo/monotouch