Quantcast

Console color support?

HairyJohn
Hi guys,
I see you support the ConsoleColor enum, but Console doesn't have background/foreground colour properties. For debugging purposes I'd like to be able colour code my console output as I do with .NET console apps I write.

Any pointers here? Would be useful methinks.

Cheers
Hairy.

Re: Console color support?

Rolf Bjarne Kvinge
Hi,

I'm a bit curious as to where you'd see the colored output? AFAIK MonoTouch apps don't actually print to a console with color capabilities.

Rolf

On Sun, Feb 19, 2012 at 2:50 PM, HairyJohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,
I see you support the ConsoleColor enum, but Console doesn't have
background/foreground colour properties. For debugging purposes I'd like to
be able colour code my console output as I do with .NET console apps I
write.

Any pointers here? Would be useful methinks.

Cheers
Hairy.

Re: Console color support?

HairyJohn
Hi Rolf,
Im referring to the Application Output window in MonoDevelop, having colour coded lines would be very useful. The only reason for ConsoleColor to exist is to support something along these lines.

Cheers
John

Re: Console color support?

Rolf Bjarne Kvinge
Hi John,

Actually ConsoleColor exists to support colors in consoles (most commonly cmd.exe in Windows, any terminal such as xterm in Linux and Terminal in MacOSX).

The ConsoleColor enum shouldn't exist in MonoTouch (if you check the Console class, you'll find that there is no way to set the  foreground/background colors), the only reason it's there is because nobody noticed before.

Rolf

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 7:07 AM, HairyJohn <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Rolf,
Im referring to the Application Output window in MonoDevelop, having colour
coded lines would be very useful. The only reason for ConsoleColor to exist
is to support something along these lines.

Cheers
John

Re: Console color support?

HairyJohn
Hi Rolf!

Yeah I checked the console class, I was just hoping that it had been implemented slightly differently or something.
Its no biggy, but it would be nice to be able to see coloured output in the Application Output window. Helps debugging visually when you only care about 1 colour for example, I log to the output window continuously when developing.

Cheers
Hairy