Quantcast

Anyone used JSON.NET in Monotouch? Any Problems?

Anyone used JSON.NET in Monotouch? Any Problems?

dermotos
Im thinking of using it in an app and also on a server. Just wondering has anyone else used it?

Re: Anyone used JSON.NET in Monotouch? Any Problems?

Nic Wise
I use the NewtonSoft one (is that the same one?), tho I think mine is
an older version.

Works great.

https://github.com/nicwise/DropNet/tree/master/Lib

Also, I see you forked my DropNet thing on GitHub. I had to fix a bug
in that yesterday (and I intend to try to port the latest sometime in
the next month or 2, so I can use oauth):

you might be better of with Kevin's one:

https://github.com/kevinmcmahon/DropNet

or possibly just do this patch:

https://github.com/dkarzon/DropNet/commit/485afe7a235df1c6c638a888982fc94a1de92ebf

-            _restClient.BaseUrl = _apiBaseUrl;
  51
+            _restClient.BaseUrl = _apiContentBaseUrl;

HOWEVER: I've found if you make a new app on DropBox, you MUST use API
v1 - and this uses API v0, so I'm not sure it'll even let you log in
:(

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 00:02, dermotos <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Im thinking of using it in an app and also on a server. Just wondering has
> anyone else used it?

t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/

Nearest Bus: find when the next bus is coming to your stop. http://goo.gl/Vcz1p
mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
http://goo.gl/IuBU
Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa
London Bike App: Find the nearest Boris Bike, and get riding! http://goo.gl/Icp2

Re: Anyone used JSON.NET in Monotouch? Any Problems?

dermotos
Thanks for the replies (and head's up about the bug!)

My network layer is currently all binary (.net serialization), but im considering swapping out to JSON (still sent over TCP sockets), as I feel once my app is out, upgrading the network protocol will be a huge pain if its all binary, not to mention problems with future cross platform etc...

Most of my network packets should be largely text content, so this should work fine with JSON. Only a couple of things Im a little worried about:

I need to send a datatable (only once per session, its expected to take a few seconds). Anyone have any experience with JSON serialization/deser of datatables? I expect the DT to be around 1000 rows x about 8 cols, with approx 20 chars per cell on average. Currently a binary serialized version is about 500kb, but compresses down to a tidy 55kb.

The other item is I sometimes have to send small images (byte[]). probably about 150px square pngs, so maybe.. 10 - 15kb each. I assume base64 encoding is the best option for these, any ideas on possible performance based on anyones prior experience?

Im going to test all of the above anyway, but just thought id see if anyone has any experience with it. Cheers!

t.  <a href="tel:%2B44%207788%20592%20806" value="+447788592806">+44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/

Nearest Bus: find when the next bus is coming to your stop. http://goo.gl/Vcz1p
mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
http://goo.gl/IuBU
Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa
London Bike App: Find the nearest Boris Bike, and get riding! http://goo.gl/Icp2

Re: Anyone used JSON.NET in Monotouch? Any Problems?

Nic Wise
What are you doing this over? HTTP? CAn you just send down a reference
to the image, and have it download it seperatly? So not included in
your data packet?

On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 01:30, Dermot O Sullivan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Nearest Bus: find when the next bus is coming to your stop.
>> http://goo.gl/Vcz1p
>> mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
>> http://goo.gl/IuBU
>> Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa
>> London Bike App: Find the nearest Boris Bike, and get riding!
>> http://goo.gl/Icp2

t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/

Nearest Bus: find when the next bus is coming to your stop. http://goo.gl/Vcz1p
mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
http://goo.gl/IuBU
Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa
London Bike App: Find the nearest Boris Bike, and get riding! http://goo.gl/Icp2

Re: Anyone used JSON.NET in Monotouch? Any Problems?

Over TCP sockets. It's the reason I am thinking there must be a more
efficient way of designing my network layer. Otherwise the images will
be byte arrays, base64 encoded, then back to bytes when sensing over
the socket.

Http links to the image would only work in some scenarios, but users
could potentially take the image on their phone camera, so actual
bytes will need to be sent.

Was looking at BSON a while ago. Perhaps this would be a better
option. Anyone any experience with this?

Sent from mobile device. Please excuse brevity & errors.

On 26/01/2012, at 12:22 AM, Nic Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> http://goo.gl/Vcz1p
>>> mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
>>> http://goo.gl/IuBU
>>> Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa
>>> London Bike App: Find the nearest Boris Bike, and get riding!
>>> http://goo.gl/Icp2
>>

> --
> Nic Wise
> t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
> b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/
>
> Nearest Bus: find when the next bus is coming to your stop. http://goo.gl/Vcz1p
> mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
> http://goo.gl/IuBU
> Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa
> London Bike App: Find the nearest Boris Bike, and get riding! http://goo.gl/Icp2

Re: Anyone used JSON.NET in Monotouch? Any Problems?

I'd be looking at BSON and/or protobuf's. Base64 adds 30% just in the
encoding, so while it might be ok for really small stuff, it's not
otherwise a good option IMO.

As you control both ends, have a look into protocol buffers (it's a
google thing), and possible servicestack, tho thats "just" json.

Might be also worth investigating using JSON ('cos it's EASY!) then as
you stream out thru the TCP socket, run it thru a compressed (gzip?)
stream writer (and reader on the other end), so it's auto-compressed
as it goes thru. But using binary would still be better I think.

On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 01:47, Dermot O Sullivan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/
>>
>> Nearest Bus: find when the next bus is coming to your stop. http://goo.gl/Vcz1p
>> mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
>> http://goo.gl/IuBU
>> Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa
>> London Bike App: Find the nearest Boris Bike, and get riding! http://goo.gl/Icp2

t.  +44 7788 592 806 | @fastchicken | http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicwise
b. http://www.fastchicken.co.nz/

Nearest Bus: find when the next bus is coming to your stop. http://goo.gl/Vcz1p
mobileAgent (for FreeAgent): get your accounts in your pocket.
http://goo.gl/IuBU
Trip Wallet: Keep track of your budget on the go: http://goo.gl/ePhKa
London Bike App: Find the nearest Boris Bike, and get riding! http://goo.gl/Icp2

Re: Anyone used JSON.NET in Monotouch? Any Problems?

Actually, personally, I'd be looking at splitting the json and the
images / binary bits, and doing it all over HTTP(S). But if you have a
constraint of a TCP service... then BSON or protobufs.